Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Exciting

I'm going to abandon the story that I started the other night.

I am going to start a new story tonight.

I have already outlined it.

I have realized something. There is no reason to write a story or a novel if I don't feel excited about it. I did not feel excited about the story that I started the other night. I feel excited about the story that I'm going to start tonight.

From now on, all writers are banned from working on stories that they are not excited about. Readers do not want to read stories that the author is not excited about. Editors do not want to consider stories that the author is not excited about. I don't want to receive any stories in Bust Down the Door's submissions email account that the author is not excited about. They will receive an automatic rejection.

Writers should not feel the need to write a certain amount of words every day if they are between pieces. This causes stories that they lack excitement for. They are should wait until inspiration hits them before they start working on something new. Once the new piece is started, they are free to force themselves to write every day until they finish it even if they lack the inspiration/motivation. They are permitted to become less excited about a piece as they continue to work on it. A small portion of the excitement will always remain behind.

If the writers feel a need to write every day between pieces but inspiration has not yet hit, they shall be obligated to write blog entries instead. Thus is my decree. I am the dictator.

1 comment:

Josh Maday said...

I second this decree.