Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pimps Don't Commit Suicide

I am sorry to tell you this, but I am suffering from TMJ-induced head pain, so I will be unable to bring you part 2 of my highly-anticipated blog entry, The Evolution of My Influences. Maybe I will write it tomorrow.

Instead I will complain about how this is the first time I've had TMJ-induced head pain since I came back from Utah and I have been very happy about this until now. I thought that maybe I wouldn't have to deal with it anymore. Lately, I have even been lowering the dosage of pills that I take at night because I find that they stop working after I take them for a while.

I guess I went to sleep a little angry this morning. That was probably a bad idea.

I live in a different day then everybody else. Since I sleep in the afternoons, my mornings are yesterday and my evenings are tomorrow.

I am done complaining.

I watched Southland Tales this morning. It was better than I thought it was going to be. It was disappointing because I liked the director's other movie, Donnie Darko, a lot. Everybody said Southland Tales made no sense. It made sense to me. It was a little confusing. But not so confusing that I had trouble following it. I don't understand why everybody thinks it's so incomprehensible.

But the script is a mess, I agree. And the majority of the first twenty minutes is a Justin Timberlake voice-over that explains the film's background.

This means the script is not well written.

I started reading the graphic novels that proceed the movie. There are three books. I have read the first two. I think that the movie is considered books parts four to six in the story. So the graphic novels are not really prequels. They are the beginning of the story. They were probably written and released before the movie. The movie is like the first Star Wars, I guess.

So far, the graphic novels have not revealed much information about the overall plot of the movie, except for things that the movie has already told me. Instead, the graphic novels get into things like interpersonal relationships between characters.

This was a little awkward in the movie. Why is The Rock hanging out with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Tony Soprano? I thought. The graphic novels told me why The Rock was hanging out with Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Tony Soprano.

The movie started in the middle, which is fine, but it did not explain why the characters were located in the same rooms. This felt jarring. It felt like lazy writing. It felt as if I had missed the first half of the movie which, considering the graphic novels, I guess I did.

I don't think people should have to read graphic novels in order to be satisfied by a movie.

I have the next four nights off in a row. This is nice. I did not ask for it. It just turned out that way when I switched a few nights with a co-worker.

I will spend the next four days working on my Nick Cave story, which I have only put one day of work into. I will also move to my new apartment. I am supposed to do this on the weekend, although I don't know what day.

The electricity in my house may get shut off before I leave. One of my old housemate who moved out at the beginning of the month says that she is canceling it. My insane, asshole-y said that he would call and take over the account. I do not think he did this.

Getting the electricity shut off would be an inconvenience. It would not be bad during the day, because I could hang out elsewhere in the morning and sleep in the afternoon (and it is getting warmer, so I probably don't need heat).

But the nights will be a problem. It would be less of an inconvenience if I was working during them. Now I will do things like go to all-night dinners or beg my friends to let me sit on their couch all night or sit in my car and use the overhead light to read or see if any of the local university libraries are open overnight or hang out in the campus center at UMASS if it is open or invest in a candle.

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be so bad.

No comments: